Fort Mason Chapel
Built in 1942, the Fort Mason Chapel employs the standardized floor plan and interior design assigned to all US Army posts in the early 20th century. However, its Mission Revival exterior—with red-tile roof, bell tower, unadorned stucco, and inset doorway—reveals the contemporaneous interest in the historic architecture of the Western missions.
Post chapels served as nondenominational places of worship and familiar gathering spots for servicemen and -women, who were often stationed far from home and family. As such, they provided valuable sources of comfort and uplift during difficult times.
The Fort Mason Chapel is the site of the FOR-SITE project Sanctuary, on view October 7, 2017–March 11, 2018.